Sunday, December 18, 2011

When We All Shall Truly See


This is an entry that I wrote for the Glen Elm Advent blog , which I though I would post here as well:


John 9:1-7
As Jesus was walking along, he saw a man who had been blind from birth. “Teacher,” his disciples asked him, “why was this man born blind? Was it a result of his own sins or those of his parents?”

“It was not because of his sins or his parents’ sins, “ Jesus answered. “He was born blind so the power of God could be seen in him.  All of us must quickly carry out the tasks assigned us by the one who sent me, because there is little time left before the night falls and all works comes to an end.  But while I am still here in the world, I am the light of the world.”

Then he spit on the ground, made mud with the saliva, and smoothed the mud over the blind man’s eyes.  He told him, “Go and wash in the pool of Siloam” (Siloam means Sent).  So the man went and washed, and came back seeing!

I know the value of good sight.  It’s a part of my everyday life.  People come to me everyday in the hopes that I can make them see well.   They trust my expertise to help them maintain their eyesight and prevent blindness.  But, sometimes they expect too much from me.  They want me to be able to work my magic, and through some spinning of those dials, a lot of ‘1s or 2s’, and a prescription for some stronger glasses, be able to make them see perfectly again.   Unfortunately, it doesn’t work that way!  Yet, in some cases, I can make them see better.   I LOVE those patients!  It’s so satisfying when I can open up a whole new world of sight to people.  And in rare cases, things I observe during an eye exam can even help to save a person’s life.  These are the most satisfying times, knowing that I have made a huge impact on a person’s life.  Yet, despite all my best intentions, I am very limited in how much I can do.  While there are times that I would desperately like to, I can, in no way, shape or form, restore lost sight.

Jesus, on the other hand, can restore sight.  In his life on earth, he restored it in the physical way.  A man who had been born blind was able to see for the first time!  And some day, he will restore it in the spiritual way as well!  I can’t wait for the day when I too, will be able to truly see for the first time!

It’s no surprise to most of us that we live in a broken time.  There’s disease, war, poverty, blindness.  We’re in the in-between period.  But we know what is to come, a day when there will be no more brokenness.  And we eagerly await that day!  Yet, even in this time of brokenness, Christ can use our weaknesses to make himself known, and to achieve his kingdom here on earth.

So, continue to wait patiently for the day that we know will come, when we all shall truly see.  Until then, continue to work hard for Him, and shine His light here in the world.

No comments: