Saturday, May 05, 2012

'The Net'

I recently read a book called 'Bloom: Finding Beauty in the Unexpected' by  Kelle Hampton.  I've read Kelle's blog, Enjoying the Small Things, for a couple years.  The book focuses on finding beauty everywhere, even amidst hard things, and making the most of our life.  In particular, she focuses on her journey and what she's learned since her daughter, Nella, was unexpectedly born with Down Syndrome two years ago.

She talks a lot about 'The Net' - the group of women who rallied around her following Nella's birth, supporting her in her sadness and grief.  While not every women was connected with each other, they all connected around her, holding her up, and each giving her a part of their heart, while she struggled to make sense of life.
"The Net", my friends call it - the ever-present existence of one another, standing by, ready to catch any one of us who might be falling.  We've all needed it at different time over the years. ... We've been there for one another through getting married, having babies, stressing at work, arguing with husbands, loving family, you name it.  We gather over brunch at our favorite coffee shops and cover one another's assess when we're late to pick up kids or forget to bring a birthday present. (pg.59)
I loved this concept, and it just made me feel so grateful for my 'net'.  My 'net' is fairly widespread - covering most of Canada -  but whether they are close by, or living on the other side of the country, I am so grateful for their presence in my life.

All of that to say - today one of my 'net' is coming to live with me again!  I met Michelle two summers ago, when she was in Merritt, working at the church as an intern.  She was newly dating Mike, the new youth pastor at the church.  She lived with me all last summer, and will live with me again this year for a couple months, until her and Mike are married on August 6th.  Michelle has been steady, true friend over the last couple years - and I'm so thankful for her!  I'm looking forward to having some fun times together this summer! :)


With Mike and Michelle - behind Moul Falls in Wells Gray Park

Adventures with Mike and Michelle last summer!

No comments: