Wednesday, August 15, 2012

summer goodness

Hmmm.  It's been awhile since I've been here again.  I don't always intend to let this much time go by between writing - but life can just be busy sometimes!  And these past couple months have definitely been very busy for me!

Months ago when I was starting to plan what this summer might look like, I had several different feasible options.  I considered a trip out to the Maritimes to visit Tamara & Matthew.  There was an offer out there to join an LST trip to Greece, and then continue on to Estonia.  And there was the option to travel back to Africa with some friends.  All good options - all definitely workable! Eventually, it was decided that it would be Africa - which I was thrilled about!  Most people who know me fairly well, know that I LOVE Africa.  It's a place that has captured my attention and my heart since I first set foot there nearly 10 years ago.  But this summer marks 5 years since I was last there - and I was eager to return!  After some planning though, it was decided that this wasn't the best time for us to go there - and while I was disappointed about postponing my return further, I felt peace about it, knowing that it was a wise choice.

Which brings me to where I am today - 3/4 of the way through a VERY BUSY summer!  I decided that even though I wouldn't be boarding a plane to Africa, I was still going to make the very most of these summer days!  So, I have been on-the-go since the beginning of July - complete with bike trips, road trips, weekend trips, hiking, swimming, and eating!  This past weekend was my first weekend at home since June - it felt strange to not have to pack up and head out somewhere, but I did enjoy the time to relax!  My days have been chock full of goodness and fun - and I feel very blessed for all that I have experienced this summer!

Here's some highlights from my summer so far:

- A trip back to the Prairies to go on the 2012 family bike trip through Manitoba.  So many good memories from this trip - thankful for these days with family, and time to soak up those wide open skies! :)







- A weekend spent in the Okanagan with Kari.  We spend a Saturday, roaming our way from Kelowna to Osoyoos and back, stopping wherever we wanted to along the way!  We had some yummy food, did a little wine-tasting, and enjoyed a beautiful sunny day together!




- A extended weekend trip to Jasper!  I get to spend the weekend with Erin & Benni, hiking Roche Miette and catching up with them.  Then I met up with Jonathan & Sarah on Sunday, and we spent a beautiful Sunday exploring Jasper before getting rained out on Monday, forcing us down the Icefields Parkway to Banff, where we spent one night and day together before heading our separate directions.









  - A birthday weekend trip to Vancouver to hang out with Elise!  On Saturday, we headed to Squamish to hike the Chief, which was amazing!  That night, we took in the Symphony of Fire fireworks!  On Sunday, we enjoyed a delicous brunch in Queen Elizabeth Park, and then a couple hours of shopping on Granville Street.







- Another weekend trip into Vancouver to visit dear Ontario friends - Elizabeth, Ben and Logan and baby-on-the-way!  I loved getting to see Logan again, as the last time I saw him he was only 5 months old!  I love his sweet personality!  It was a quick visit - but so good to see them again!



- Beautiful summer wedding of my dear friends, Michelle & Mike!  Michelle has become one of my closest friends these past couple years - we've walked through a lot together as we've lived together!  I'm sad to see her go as a roommate - but am so thrilled that her and Mike are finally married!  I look forward to sharing more memories with them in Merritt!



Still to come:
- A week of fun at the cabin at Victoria Beach!  Betty-Jean and Chris' cabin is probably one of my very favourite places ever.  It's been a few years since I've been there, so I'm happy to be able to spend a week there this year!  I'm excited to meet sweet little baby Owen (the newest addition to the cousin clan!), and to spend a week bike-riding, swimming, reading, playing games, eating 'Smile' cookies, and relaxing.  Regardless of how the weather is, I know it will be a great week!

- Labour Day weekend in Regina!  I'm flying home for Crystal's wedding - and am so excited to celebrate with her, and get to see more Regina friends!!

So much goodness!  I can't help but feel blessed when I look at all these pictures!


No comments: