Saturday, December 15, 2012

10 years

I've been meaning to write this post for several months now ... it's been something I've been mulling over for a long time.  This year marks 10 years since I graduated high school.  In June, I attended a high school graduation ceremony, and I found myself feeling somewhat nostalgic.  In some ways, high school seems like it was just a couple days ago for me.  In other ways, I can't believe all that's happened since then, and 10 years seems like such a short span of time to hold all the life lessons and adventures.  Thankfully, I didn't have a firm picture of exactly where I thought I'd be 10 years out from high school, because things probably look pretty different than I thought they would.  Some things are as expected - I graduated from optometry, and I think a part of me always knew that I wouldn't be married by this point.  Other things are entirely different - I don't think I ever could have predicted that I would be living in a small town in BC right now.  Expected or unexpected though, slowly and surely, step by step, my life has been shaped into what it is today.

This fall, I shared my 'story' one night at youth group.  I enjoyed the process of looking back on, and putting into words, not only where I've been and what I've done over these last 10 years, but more importantly, what I've learned from those experiences.

So what have I learned?  What are the lessons that the today Jill has taken from these 10 years?  And if I could go back in time to high school Jill, what would I tell her?


I've learned that I'm not the same person that I was 10 years ago, 5 years ago, 1 year ago, or even 1 day ago.  I'm constantly being shaped and changed by relationships, life experiences, and most of all, God.

I've learned that life is an adventure.  I can't predict where life will take me - but I'm okay with that.  It makes life more fun.

I've learned to try not to have too many expectations, because having too many expectations just sets me up for disappointment.  I've especially learned to give up other people's expectations of me and my life.  No one can tell me how to live my life except for me.  

I've learned that I can be at 'home' anywhere.  But also that there's really truly nothing quite like being at home, amongst those who know me best.

I've learned that travelling is worth it, especially if I come back changed in some way.  And I've learned that the most meaningful travel is when I can invest into people's lives - but that I'll always get more in return than I'm able to give.

I've learned that I am strong and independent and confident, but that I don't have to be that way all the time.  It's okay to need people, and to be needed sometimes too.

I've learned that there is nothing quite like family.  It's so comforting to know that no matter where I may go, or what I might do, that I have them by my side.

I've learned that brothers and sisters make the best friends.

I've learned how important it is to have good friends that understand and love you for who you are, but still always push you to be even better.  And that good friends are more than just friends - they're family.  You don't find these kinds of friends every day - so when you do find one, hold on tightly to them.

I've learned that some people are only meant to be in our lives for a short period of time.  Learn what you can from them while they are in your life, and try not to grieve the loss of them too much.

I've learned to be grateful - for the big things and the little things.  It's hard to be too discouraged when you take time to be thankful for all the blessings in your life.  And I've learned that it's the little things I miss the most when I don't have them anymore, so try to appreciate them while you have them.  Soak up the moment, rather than always trying to get to the next moment.

I've learned that I value experiences much more than I value stuff.

I've learned that I love simplicity.  And that less really is more.

I've learned that the simple things - a cup of tea, a good book, a warm bath, a deep down belly laugh, just to name a few - really are the best things.

I've learned that I'm a dreamer.  And that I have a little bit of a restless spirit.  But that it's okay to be dreaming of more, and what is still to come.  And I've learned not to be ashamed of my dreams, even if no one understands them except for me.

I've learned that I don't want a comfortable life, and I don't think that's what God wants for me either.  I'd rather get to the end of my life having spent myself fully on serving and loving, than on building up my bank account.

I've learned to love who I am.  To embrace myself for who I am, rather than who people think or expect me to be.  And that it's okay if I'm an introvert, and would rather spend an evening curled up on the couch reading then out with a bunch of people.

I've learned that it's okay to be single.  And it's okay to be okay with that.  And it's okay to be okay with that, and still really want to find a good man to share life and adventures with (hopefully someday soon).

I've learned that I crave adventure, and exploring, and going and seeing and doing.  I don't think I'll ever tire of seeing the world, and meeting new people, and experiencing new cultures, and trying new food.

I've learned that I feel most fulfilled, and most like myself, when I'm serving others.

I've learned to listen.  Sometimes people just want to be heard.  Learn what you can from them.

I've learned that life is not static.  That it's constantly changing and shifting, and that it has many different seasons.  And that change is good.  And that I can change too.  And for all of this, I'm grateful.

I've learned that I love learning - and that I'll never stop learning.  I'll always be a student.

I've learned that we all will go through struggles and hard times, and that sometimes you have to go through those hard times, in order to end up where you need to be.  But it's in those hard times, that you'll usually end up learning and growing the most.  And you'll eventually be able to look back and see how everything worked out as it should, even if you can't see it at the time.

I've learned that most people are good, and that everyone has a story.  And that we're all part of one big story.  I love that we're all written into God's story of grace and redemption.

I've learned that God is GOOD.  I may not fully (or even partly) understand what He's doing, or how He's working, but I can trust His character.  He is faithful.


10 years.  So much learned in those 10 years.  And I'm still learning.  Every day I'm learning.  I don't know what my life will look like in another 10 years.  If I'll be married.  If I'll have kids.  Where I'll be working.  If I'll even still be living in Canada.  But I do know that I'll be able to look back again at that time, and see all that I've learned since now.

I'm so glad to be on this journey.  So glad to be taking just one step at a time, and learning things all along the way.

No comments: