Wednesday, September 27, 2006

I have the opportunity on Saturday night to hear Stephen Lewis speak. He is giving the keynote address at Homecoming at the University of Waterloo. Unfortunately, by the time that I found out that he was going to be here, tickets were already sold out. But, I am able to watch the speech on a live feed. I'm pretty excited to hear him - I have a lot of respect for this man, and for the incredible voice that he is for those suffering from HIV/AIDS in Africa. But he isn't just all words either - he puts his words into action.

On the same note, I want to put a plug in for his book, "Race Against Time". I finished reading it this summer - and it helped me to understand more fully the situation within Africa, and the plight of its people. He is very knowledgeable about the subject, and so honest about it. He is quick to praise efforts underway, but is also not afraid to criticize and point out mistakes or shortcomings. You can tell from reading it that it is something that he is so passionate about. So, if you haven't read it yet, and you are even remotely interested in Africa, then I suggest that you give it a try.

And while I am promoting books, I'll throw this one in too. I just found this book on the internet somehow, and ended up ordering it through Chapters. It is called "Hope in the Dark", and is a book with beautiful pictures from Africa, with a few quotes/sayings as well. The pictures are amazing - and truly capture the beauty and hope of the continent. And some of the proceeds from the book are going to Blood:Water Mission and other African relief agencies. So, check it out - it's a pretty sweet book.

No comments: