Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I started to see pennies everywhere -- in the backs of drawers, under the couch cushions, at the sticky bottom of the center console of cars.  There are always a few, along with bobby pins and ticket stubs, in the purses that aren't used every day.  You find them when you need that particular purse for a particular occasions.  And then you move them to some other random place.  They collect, of their own accord, it seems, on windowsills and in jacket pockets and on kitchen counters.

... Each one of our lives is shot through, threaded in and out with God's provision, his grace, his protection, but on the average day, we notice it about as much as we really notice gravity or the hole in the ozone. ... Because once you start seeing the faithfulness and the hope, you see it everywhere, like pennies.  And little by little, here and there, you realize that all of life is littered with bright copper coins, that all of life is woven with bits and stories of God's goodness.

When I look back now, with these new eyes, it's like there's a bright copper path I was walking on and didn't even know it. ... What gives me hope is the belief that God will be faithful, because he has been faithful before, to me and the people around me.  I need the reminders.  I need to be told that he was faithful then, and then, and then.  Just because I have forgotten how to see doesn't mean it isn't there.  His goodness is there.  His promises have been kept.  All I need to do is see.
     
So when I'm on the edge, peering over into the unknown, trembling and terrified to move forward, devastatingly afraid to take the next step, I practicing believing that full life is beyond the fear.  I know that God's voice has led me to this exact place, and I grab a few pennies.  They are sacred reminders that God is God, that he is leading my life, and that he is saying to me, as he has been saying to his people throughout history, I will never leave you, and I've left reminders all around, if you have the eyes to see them.

Shauna Niequist, from 'Cold Tangerines'

I've been learning to see the 'pennies' in my days - those little bits of grace that are scattered all throughout my 'ordinary' days.

I was off in Banff last weekend for a whirlwind trip with the whole staff for some office training.  We drove there on Friday, had all day Saturday there, and part of Sunday, before turning around and driving all the way home.  The drive is stunning!  I hadn't driven through that area since I packed up my car and moved west two years ago.  The variety of the scenery, from the Shuswap to the Rockies, paired with the incredible fall colours, made for a beautiful drive, even if it was long.  And just being in Banff - perfect!  I only wish that I had more time to get out and actually explore, instead of being stuck inside all day!  The thing that topped it all off was that we woke up on Sunday morning to a scattering of snow on the ground.  Perfection!  :)  I always LOVE the first snow - and to be in surroundings like Banff ... well, let's just say it made me ridiculously happy!


I had a 'penny' moment while in Banff.  I knew vaguely that a friend that I lived with in Ontario was in Banff for the semester, studying music.  Upon arriving at 'The Banff Centre' (where we were staying), I wondered if this was where she was studying, as it seemed like an artistic 'campus' of sorts.  On Friday night, I prayed that if this was where she was, that I might 'bump' into her the next day.  Well, on Saturday at lunch, I look across the dining hall, and there she was!  I had an opportunity to catch up briefly with her.  The whole thing just reminded me of the little moments of grace and provision that are woven into my days.  They may seem so small and insignificant that I pass them by without giving them much thought.  Sometimes they are things I need; other times they are just fun little surprises!  Did I need to run into her in Banff?  No.  But was it a blessing to be able to run into her there?  Absolutely!

And this has been another one of my 'pennies' recently:


This little leaf was from my Thanksgiving weekend in Powell River.  Elise, the beautiful, creative soul that she is, made these leaves for everyone, which we passed around the table prior to eating, writing why we were thankful for each person.  Being that I had only just met most of them, I was mostly just thankful that they had opened up their home and family to me for Thanksgiving!  But it's served as my bookmark the past couple weeks, and reminds me that it's important to be thankful for the blessings in our life - and especially to tell people when we're thankful for them.  How great does it feel when somebody tells us how they appreciate us?!  Yet, I know that I often don't take the time to stop and do that - so I'm going to try and be more intentional in being aware of the blessings, but also in verbalizing my gratitude towards the people in my life.  I pray that I can continue to learn how to see the 'pennies' scattered throughout my days! :)

No comments: